Soup is one of the most comforting foods around and is found in all cultures. Ashland Food Co-op has built up quite a collection of excellent and thoroughly taste-tested soup recipes. They live with hundreds of other recipes on our website. Celebrate soup season and try a new soup recipe this month. After all, it is National Soup Month!
From Ashland Food Co-op’s Recipe Collection
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced fine
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 small bunch cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cups black beans cooked
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 avocados cubed
- Juice from one lime
1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot. Add the onion and sauté until soft.
2. Add the garlic, cumin, chipotle powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar, and half of the cilantro. Sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and then the beans. Sauté a few minutes longer. Add stock and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks.
4. Blend a cup or two of the beans and liquid and return to the pot. Check the salt level, adding more if needed.
5. Add the avocado and remaining cilantro plus the lime juice.