Rich Sausage and Cabbage Stew
This soup is a flavor bomb of rich broth, chicken sausage and ham. Sauerkraut, cabbage and apple give this hearty soup complex flavors, and keep your taste buds awake. You won’t think about cabbage stew the same ever again.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces Smart Chicken Sausage, variety of your choice, cut into 2 -inch pieces
6 ounces ham, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon allspice
4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 pound green cabbage, shredded
1/2 pound sauerkraut, drained
1 apple, diced
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed soup pot. Add the sausages and ham cubes. Saute until browned.
- Add the onions, garlic and allspice. Sauté for several minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until they begin to lose their moisture. Add the salt, and sauté a few minutes longer.
- Add the cabbage and stir into the cooking meat and veggies. Let cook a few minutes longer.
- Add the sauerkraut, apple, and diced tomatoes. Reduce the heat and simmer covered, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally so the stew doesn’t stick.
- Finish with the black pepper.