- Prescriptions and OTC medications used regularly (make a check list of these items and keep it up to date)
- Photographs/Home Movies (sort and prepare photo boxes NOW)
- Checkbook & Credit cards
- Legal & Important Documents. Keep all originals in a safe deposit box. Have a duplicate set if possible, in a waterproof, portable container:
- Will, Insurance Policies, contracts, stocks & bonds, current tax info.
- Passports, birth certificates, social security & immunization records for all members of the family
- Bank account & credit card numbers
- Inventory of household valuables with digital pictures
- Family Records; divorce papers, marriage and death certificates
- Copies of Doctor’s phone numbers & Medical Insurance card numbers
- Recent utility bill for proof of residence
- Irreplaceable & Sentimental Items, i.e. heirlooms (Predetermine priorities and make a list of items with a picture in their priority order).
- Pet Items: Food, medications, water dish, collar & leash (for 5 days)
- Extra Eye Glasses/ Contact lens supplies
- Denture Supplies
- Drinking water and at least one change of clothing for every member of the family
- Personal Phone Book
- Children’s items: Special Blanket, toy or pillow, diapers
Before the disaster hits:
– Make a list of your “MUST HAVES”, “SHOULD HAVES” & “COULD HAVES”.
– Designate 3 main areas in your home for these items to reside so you don’t waste precious time running around searching for things.
– Have gas shut off wrench handy