We are asked lots of questions as a dental practice. Without further delay, here is a taste of the questions we field frequently in dentistry with our answers.
- Why do I need to fix my tooth, it doesn’t bother me? While it may seem obvious to most, dentistry managed in a reactive manner instead of proactively increases cost and reduces the likelihood of success.
- Why do I need to see a specialist for that? Specialty dentists perform very challenging procedures thousands of times to an exacting degree of accuracy, often at a similar cost and shorter appointment time than in a general dentistry setting. For a complex surgery or root canal, would you rather see someone who does those procedures thousands of times or someone who only does a few?
- Why do I need an exam for a cleaning? Just like a speed setting in a washing machine won’t clean heavily soiled laundry, we need to be sure we are using the correct materials, time, and techniques to maintain or establish healthy teeth and gums at hygiene visits.
- Do I need X-Rays? Yes. Just like a mechanic needs to look under the hood of a car, we need to at least be able to see the basics. This is done on a case-by-case basis just like a mechanic won’t take the whole engine apart for an oil change, but they will lift the hood. There are things our eyes simply can’t see.
- That is a lot of work and it looks expensive, should I be getting a second opinion? We welcome second opinions, and we encourage our patients who have questions to seek out a second opinion for themselves or visit with us one-on-one. Of course, 5 different dentists might give 5 different plans and fees, but at least you can know you’re seeing someone to perform a plan you are comfortable with. Remember, there will always be someone willing to do it cheaper than someone else, costs shouldn’t be your primary deciding factor.
I hope you enjoyed our Top 5 list and have a great summer. If you’ve got some free time and want to add to our list of questions or see what’s going on at White Dental Studio, give us a call or check us out on the web www.mywhitedental.com