December is almost here and we are in the midst of a massive poinsettia move-out! This year we grew around 8000 poinsettias in fourteen different colors and varieties. We grow the poinsettias in a wide assortment of sizes, from small 4” containers perfect for table decorations, to large 10” containers holding 5 poinsettias each that are just over 2 feet tall and wide. Now is a great time to come and get your favorite color. Although you’re more than welcome to come during our regular business hours to get your poinsettias, we will have our annual Poinsettia Festival taking place on Saturday, November 28th from 10am-4pm. It’s a great time to visit with everyone and enjoy the waves of color as all the greenhouses are filled bench-to-bench with poinsettias. Like years past we’ll have festive music, snacks, beverages, and various venders selling other items that are perfect for your holiday shopping. It’s a free event and continues to grow in popularity every year.
Some reminders for taking care of your poinsettias once you have them home:
- Poinsettias do not like to stay constantly wet, nor do they like to be completely dry. It is best to allow the plant to dry out some between waterings.
- Water the plant as soon as it feels light. It is very important to water deeply, so that the water flows out the bottom freely. The soil needs to be completely wet.
- There is no need for any fertilizer at this time.
- It is also best to give the plants as much light, especially natural light, as possible. If it stays cloudy, it is hard to give them too much light.
- Keep them out of a draft or next to a heater. This means that next to a door is a bad idea, or on top of an appliance (such as a television) is also a bad idea.
From all of us at Ashland Greenhouses, we’d like to thank you for a great year and we look forward to 2016 and another new gardening year!
650 E Ashland Ln.