February is not really known as a typical gardening month, but for diehard gardeners every month is a gardening month. If you are discouraged by the weather here are some things you can do that help you LOVE February.
We LOVE February because:
1. Seed catalogs are coming full force in the mail.
Territorial Seed (Territorialseed.com) is a local seed company.
Ashland Greenhouses has a great selection of seed packets from Livingston Seed Company.
2. Garden shows have started a new season. One of my favorites is Gardeners’ World. The English writer and broadcaster “Monty” Don has an American garden series this year. You can watch them on the (HDclump) app.
3. We are getting 3 more minutes of daylight each day. We also get 29 days in February, it is an extra 24 hours to ponder about spring.
4. Snowdrops, muscari, daffodils, and some perennials are starting to peek through the soil.
5. February is a great time of year to plan a garden trip. My trip this year will be to Shore Acres State Park near Coos Bay.
6. February 14th is Valentine’s day. A great reason to come down to Ashland Greenhouses and purchase some blooming plants. Starting the week of Valentine’s day, we will be open Monday-Friday 9:00 to 5:00 and Saturdays 9:00 to 4:00.
Varieties of blooming plants available include Primroses, Cyclamen (in all the Valentine’s Day colors), 3 varieties of perennial Violas, ‘Champagne Bubbles Mix’ poppies, and ‘Bellissima Mix’ Bellis. Pansies will be blooming in a rainbow of colors. My favorite is ‘Yellow Blotch’ because they look like a happy sun face. Others I adore are ‘Pure White’ and ‘Pure Violet Purple.’ We also have a good variety of other perennials available. Check out our availability at www.AshlandGreenhouses.com.
As you are looking out into your backyard, parks, neighborhoods, and the world, take stock in the trees without leaves, bare soil in your flower beds, your slightly less than green grass and remember that in 30 to 60 days it will be full of blooms and buds with a carpet of green for you to enjoy.