What it costs to own a home includes utility costs, maintenance costs, water and sewer, and even transportation costs if your home is car-dependent.
On July 3rd KDA Homes had a ribbon-cutting ceremony for their new Beach Creek Community on N. Mountain in Ashland. All of these homes will be built to the Earth Advantage Platinum standard. I wanted to share the details.
Earth Advantage is a nonprofit organization that promotes sustainable building practices and provides green building certifications. The organization emphasizes five key pillars that encompass various aspects of sustainability in the built environment. These pillars are designed to improve energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and overall environmental performance. Here are the benefits of Earth Advantage’s five pillars:
1. Energy Efficiency: One of the primary benefits of focusing on energy efficiency is reduced energy consumption. By implementing energy-efficient measures, buildings can significantly lower their energy usage, leading to cost savings and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Energy-efficient buildings also provide enhanced comfort and occupant satisfaction by minimizing temperature fluctuations and drafts.
2. Healthy Home: The healthy home pillar focuses on improving indoor air quality and overall occupant well-being. This includes strategies to reduce exposure to pollutants, allergens, and toxins commonly found in buildings. By implementing proper ventilation, utilizing low-toxicity materials, and promoting good indoor air quality practices, Earth Advantage-certified homes create healthier living environments for occupants.
3. Resource Efficiency: Resource efficiency aims to minimize waste generation and the use of non-renewable resources. By adopting sustainable practices such as recycling, waste reduction, water conservation, and responsible material sourcing, Earth Advantage-certified buildings contribute to the conservation of resources. This can lead to cost savings, reduced environmental impact, and increased resilience to resource scarcity.
4. Environmental Responsibility: The environmental responsibility pillar emphasizes the importance of sustainable site development and preservation. This includes considerations for minimizing site disturbance, protecting natural habitats, managing stormwater runoff, and promoting biodiversity. By integrating these principles into building design and construction, Earth Advantage-certified projects help mitigate the environmental impact of development.
5. Community: The community pillar focuses on creating sustainable and vibrant communities. Earth Advantage encourages projects that prioritize walkability, accessibility to public transportation, and proximity to amenities and services. By fostering community connectivity and reducing reliance on private vehicles, Earth Advantage-certified developments can enhance livability, promote social interaction, and contribute to a sense of place.
Overall, Earth Advantage’s five pillars provide a holistic approach to sustainable building, incorporating energy efficiency, indoor air quality, resource efficiency, environmental responsibility, and community development. By addressing these aspects, Earth Advantage-certified buildings offer numerous benefits, including reduced energy costs, improved occupant health and comfort, conservation of resources, minimized environmental impact, and the creation of vibrant and sustainable communities.